Oh. My. Goodness. Sooooo decadent and delicious! I made the special dish on Christmas Eve this year and got rave reviews.
*Note: I had truffle oil rather than truffle butter, so I just made the roux with regular butter and added truffle oil in later – worked just fine!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced 1/2-inch
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced 1/2-inch
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 pound pasta (such as cavatappi)
- 2 ounces white truffle butter (regular butter may be used, supplemented with truffle oil)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk, warmed
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, grated (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan, add the mushrooms, and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are tender. Add the wine and continue to saute for a few more minutes, until the wine is absorbed. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and a healthy pinch of salt. Add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until al dente. Drain well.
Meanwhile, melt the truffle butter in a large (4-quart) saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Heat the milk in the microwave. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the white sauce is thickened and creamy. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Fontina, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, the pepper, and nutmeg.
Combine the pasta, sauce, and mushrooms in a large bowl and pour them into a 10 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish.
Place the garlic powder, parsley, panko, and softened butter into a large bowl. Mush it all around (gently!) with (clean!) hands until the butter is distributed. Sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Serve hot.